Applying for a Marriage License

var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-20976680-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + ''; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();

Both applicants must be present to apply for a marriage license. No appointment is necessary. Complete the following steps to obtain a marriage license good anywhere in Washington State:

1. Submit your Marriage Application (please review the requirements below)

  1. Online

  2. In person

  3. Mail

2. Visit our office

Sign your marriage license and pay the $64 license fee.

If both applicants can't come to our office to complete the paperwork, please download the Marriage Application and have it signed in front of a notary public.

Please note that your license fee is payable by cash only. The 3 day waiting period doesn't begin until fees are paid and license is created.

Benton County Auditor’s Office       

PO Box 470

Prosser, WA 99350        

(509)736-2727 or (509) 786-5620


Auditor’s Office Locations:

Kennewick - 5600 W Canal Dr - (509) 736-2727

Richland - 101 Wellsian Way Ste E - (509) 222-3736

Prosser - 620 Market St - (509) 786-5620

Marriage licenses for same-sex couples are expected to be issued starting December 6th.

For more information about marriage licenses, read the Frequently Asked Questions.

County Home PageCounty Home Page
Contact UsContact Us

Marriage Application Hours

Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Prosser Auditor's Office

Kennewick Auditor's Office

620 Market St

Prosser WA 99350

  1. (509)786-5620

Kennewick Auditor's Office

5600 W Canal Dr

Kennewick WA 99336

(509) 736-2727

Both applicants must have a current photo ID as proof of your age and identity.

Blood tests and physical exams are not required to obtain a marriage license.

Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license.  The license is only valid for weddings that are performed within the State of Washington.

Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.

Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 17 years of age must be accompanied by one parent or legal guardian who can provide consent.  

Applicants under the age of 17 must obtain permission from the Family Court.

Application must be made a minimum of 3 days prior to marriage as there is a 3 day waiting period and no exceptions can be made.  The 3 day waiting period begins on the date of application.

Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. Witnesses should be at least 12 years of age.

There is a $64 fee, payable at the time of application. CASH ONLY. Checks and credit cards are not accepted at this time.  The fee is non-refundable. 

You may also want to pre-pay for one or more certified copies at the time you apply. The cost is $3.00 each. The copies will automatically be mailed to you after your officiant returns your marriage certificate to the Auditor's Office for recording. Please bring sufficient cash to pay for both the $64.00 license, as well as any $3.00 certified copies.

State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Supreme Court justices, Court of Appeals judges, Superior Court judges, Supreme Court commissioners, Court of Appeals commissioners, Superior Court commissioners, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction, as well as any regularly licensed or ordained minister or priest, imam, rabbi, or similar official of any religious organization. See RCW 26.04.050 for a complete list.


A qualifying officiant from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the State of Washington. Neither applicant may perform the ceremony.

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality program. Once a license has been recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded."

Certified copies of marriage licenses must be requested.  Requests may be made in person or by mail. 

To request in person, please come to the Recording Department located at the Prosser or Kennewick Office listed above.  Department hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday thru Friday.

To request by mail, please send a request with bride, groom, and date of marriage to Prosser or Kennewick Office listed above.

Certified copies: $3 each

Photocopies: $1 each

All public documents, including marriage certificates, are available from the Recording Department.


Age Requirements

Waiting Period



Performing the Ceremony

Marriages are Public Record

Copies of Marriage Licenses